Commentary:
-Oregon up until last weekend had been quietly having a good year. Now its well known. The Ducks are in position to host the inaugural PAC12 Championship game in a few weeks. The Ducks just need to win one against either USC this week or Oregon State next week.
-A friend of mine and I were talking during the games last Saturday night. We were coming up with some doomsday BCS Scenarios. This could get real interesting in the next couple of weeks. We have two weeks worth of games in the regular season, and one championship weekend to look forward to. A couple of particular upsets (ones that have happened before) could really throw us for a loop on who ends up #1 and #2. I'm kinda looking forward to it!
-Its the first weekend full of rivalry games. Get ready, the records don't matter, the fire is fueled and ready to go!
Cheering for:
-New Mexico: Congrats on your first win! Took you long enough!
-Oregon: Losing to LSU isn't looking so bad at the moment.
-Kansas State: I have a soft spot for Kansas State. Not sure where it came from, but it's there. Bill Snyder has turned this team around, they're actually have a fine season overall. Losses to Oklahoma and Oklahoma State aren't bad. A four-overtime win over Texas A&M was fun to watch.
Laughing at:
-Maryland: Yep, firing Friedgen after a 9-4 year was a GREAT decision! 2-8 so far with two more to go.
Feeling sorry for:
-FAU: still winless. The only one left.
Top 25: Nobody is challenging LSU for the top spot. Houston's SoS sucks out loud.
1) LSU
2) Oklahoma State
3) Houston
4) Alabama
5) Oregon
6) Arkansas
7) Stanford
8) Virginia Tech
9) Boise State
10) Clemson
11) Kansas State
12) Georgia
13) Penn State
14) Tulsa
15) Oklahoma
16) Southern Mississippi
17) Michigan State
18) South Carolina
19) Arkansas State
20) Wisconsin
21) Michigan
22) Nebraska
23) TCU
24) Texas
25) Florida State
The picks:
-North Carolina at Virginia Tech: two years ago the Tar Heels pulled the upset in Blacksburg on a Thursday night. Can history repeat itself? Virginia Tech can afford a loss here, but shouldn't see one. The Hokies will roll and win by 10.
-Nebraska at Michigan: This week should be slightly easier for Nebraska. Last week they were merely "Penn State's opponent." Michigan is tough, but Nebraska's defense should be able to slow down Robinson enough, if he plays. Nebraska by 7.
-Georgia Tech at Duke: Okay I'm rather biased in putting this game in here. Sue me, I don't care. This shouldn't be close, except that GT is missing a couple of players for at least the first half. GT will still roll. GT by 14.
-Miami at South Florida: Last year Miami lost to South Florida at home and pretty much ended the career of Randy Shannon at Miami. Al Golden knows this, I bet. Both teams have underacheived this year a bit, but here Miami will win, even if its just by 3.
-Penn State at Ohio State: The shame of the Big Ten conference right now. Ohio State for all the stuff they went through in the offseason, and Penn State for the mess they're in right now. Oh yeah, this is a game too. With all the turmoil, Penn State isn't going to win in the horseshoe. It just isn't so. Ohio State by 4.
-Vanderbilt at Tennessee: Tennessee is 27-1 since 1983 against Vanderbilt. Yet Vandy is favored by a point going into this game. I'd LOVE to see Vandy win. I really would. I just cannot pick against a streak like that. Tennessee by 7.
-Jefferson-Eppes Trophy; Virginia at Florida State: I'm trying to figure out why FSU is favored by double digits here. I smell an upset. The Cavaliers can't afford a loss here (unless VT loses to UNC on Thursday). UVA wins by 3.
-Oklahoma at Baylor: I like Baylor, I really do. I just don't see them winning against Oklahoma for the first time in history. Oklahoma over Baylor by 20.
-Kansas State at Texas: Don't discount K-state here. The Wildcats have won three straight from the Longhorns. Two of those three came against Texas teams that finished 10-3. It will be tough to win on the road here though. Texas by 3.
-USC at Oregon: Oregon's one big test before the PAC-12 North title comes here (sorry Oregon State, it's true). If this were in LA, I'd give the Trojans a chance. It isn't. Oregon by 10.
-Territorial Cup; Arizona at Arizona State: Arizona State has lost two in a row to bad teams. Arizona can barely beat the bad ones. Arizona State wins here by 10.
-Big Game; Cal at Stanford: Can Stanford recover after losing last week to Oregon? Of course they can. No band is needed here. Stanford by 14.
No comments:
Post a Comment