Thursday, September 22, 2011

2011 College Football Week 4 predictions!

Commentary: We didn't see any real surprising upsets last week, only a few ranked teams lost and while they were to unranked opponents the upsets weren't that surprising really.  It was still a good week of college football for us all though!  Auburn's seventeen game winning streak came to an end in Clemson, SC last week.  Notre Dame bounced back to upset Michigan State.  Arizona State lost at Illinois.  Miami bounced back from an opening week loss to beat Ohio State at home. 

Cheering for: Conference play!  While there are some good non-conference games in store for this week, conference play starts for a lot of schools in week 4.

Laughing at:
-Boston College: wow, what a face plant.  A field-goal attempt hits the upright in the final minute and a loss to Duke ensues.  Ouch.
-Oregon State: still winless, despite opening against an FCS opponent.  To be fair, week 2 was against Wisconsin and week 3 was a bye-week.

Feeling sorry for:
-No one really, not yet.

Top 25: We are down to 33 undefeated teams, maybe I can do a real poll next week if we drop to 25 or less.

1) Oklahoma
2) LSU
3) Alabama
4) Boise State
5) Stanford
6) South Carolina
7) Oklahoma State
8) Texas A&M
9) Virginia Tech
10) Wisconsin
11) Nebraska
12) Arkansas
13) Michigan
14) South Florida
15) Florida
16) Texas
17) Georgia Tech
18) North Carolina
19) West Virginia
20) Clemson
21) Houston
22) Illinois
23) Texas Tech
24) Baylor
25) Vanderbilt

Others receiving votes: Iowa State, Kansas State, Ohio, San Diego State, Wyoming, Cal, USC, FIU

Predictions:
-NC State at Cincinnati: Both teams are fighting for respect in their conferences, NCSU has struggled a bit out of the gate, Cincinnati has lost to a good team and beaten up two bad ones.  I give the nod here to Cincinnati since it is at home.  Cincy by 10.
-North Carolina at Georgia Tech: UNC is in the "others receiving votes" categories of the polls while GT hit both the AP and Coaches poll this week.  GT's offense has been on fire lately, UNC has a pretty good defense to counter it.  I don't see GT scoring a point a minute like they have been, but still walking away with the victory here.  GT by 14.
-San Diego State at Michigan: A good game here between student and master.  Brady Hoke left SDSU at the end of last season to coach Michigan.  While Michigan's defense has been rather porous this year so far, I don't see SDSU pulling the upset like some predict.  Michigan by 10.
-Notre Dame at Pittsburgh: Notre Dame pulled itself off the mat last week by beating ranked Michigan State at home, while Pitt blew a big lead in a game at Iowa.  I see more of the same here.  ND by 10.
-Georgia at Ole Miss: The seats here will be warm, maybe scorching under each coaches' butt.  Really UGA shouldn't lose this game, but it all depends on the psyche of both teams.  Ole Miss is wounded beyond belief after getting blown out by Vanderbilt last week.  UGA at least blew up on an overmatched opponent.  I'll predict UGA by 3.
-Florida State at Clemson:  FSU comes into this game reeling a bit after the home loss to Oklahoma.  Also they'll be playing the backup quarterback.  This may not matter though.  Clemson has almost always followed a big win with a loss, and I'm not one to pick against a trend.  FSU by 10.
-Oklahoma State at Texas A&M:  Both are top ten teams, both undefeated, etc.  This would be fun without the backstory.  A&M is trying to leave the Big 12 as fast as it can, the rest of the conference members are trying to prevent it.  I've doubted A&M before and looked bad because of it, but I'm going with Mike "I'm a man! I'm 40!" Gundy here.  OSU by 7.
-Arkansas at Alabama: Welcome to reality Arkansas.  Reality says wins over Troy and New Mexico mean nothing to Alabama.  Alabama by 14.
-Vanderbilt at South Carolina: Vanderbilt has been a thorn in South Carolina's side for quite a while.  There has even been a couple of wins for Vandy thrown in the mix.  South Carolina has had to work for all three wins it has, and this week won't be any different.  South Carolina by 3.
-Missouri at Oklahoma: All the Sooners need to do is remember last year.  #1 in the nation, flying high at 6-0, and oops!  A loss at Missouri derailed any national title hopes.  OU gets revenge big time.  OU by 20.
-LSU at West Virginia: Offense sells tickets.  Defense wins championships.  LSU's defense has been absolutely stifling so far, and I don't see West Virginia changing that.  LSU by 10.
-USC at Arizona State: This could be a huge step-up game for Arizona State.  The only problem is they've played USC every year for a long time and not won since 1999.  I don't pick against streaks.  USC by 14.

No comments:

Post a Comment